Thursday, January 3, 2013

Altered Blank Cards

I got this pack of blank cards at the local craft store.  I thought that the plain floral prints are just screaming to be embellished.  Sort of like a blank canvas!  With some embellishments you'll end up with six, cute, one of a kind cards.

This is how they look originally.  I only want to use the front image with my base cards so I trimmed the card front to 4" x 5.25" to make my main panel.


The first card is quick and simple.  I used limeade cardstock for the card base and added neon green rhinestones to the center of each flower.  Then I layered a navy blue strip for the sentiment.  Before I took the picture I added the butterflies.


For the next card, I colored the whole panel with Tim Holtz's Distress Stains.  Did I mention that the blank cards were made with glossy cardstock?  The stains work really well with porous surfaces, not so well on glossy cardstock, DUH!  I used the heat gun to dry and set the stains, then rubbed a paper towel all over the panel.  The end result was not too bad.  I used pomegranate cardstock (I think) for the base card.  In real life, it doesn't have the "blotchy" look as you see in the picture.


This card took more time to put together than the others.  I wanted to color the flowers and permanent markers work well with glossy cardstock.  I used magenta, pink and lilac markers.  The colors are so vibrant in real life.


The next card was embellished with buttons.  I seldom use buttons for embellishments even though I have quite a few in different colors and sizes.  I added the natural twine to the buttons to soften the bright blue color.  I matched the sentiment to the card base which was summer starfruit.


Next is the pink card.  I punched the tiny flowers from primrose petal card stock to complement the base card made with pink pirouette.  I added the pink rhinestones to the tiny flowers  and glued them on the panel.      I thought this could be a simple Valentine card.


Card number six is unfinished.  I didn't like what I put together.  I'll fix it some other time but I'll show you how far I've gotten.


I like how the first five turned out.  The next time you see a stack of cheap ($1.00), plain cards grab them and add your own special touch.  You don't need to have a stash of embellishments to make them your own.    I just want to add that since they're cheap, the envelopes that came with the cards were like made with tissue paper.  I'm using my own envelopes.

I used Sharpies permanent markers to color the flowers.  You know the extra buttons that come with sweaters or blouses, I save those with my embellishments.  You can color the clear or white buttons with Sharpies, too.  If you ever see clear rhinestones at the dollar bins at Target or your local craft store, grab them.  You can color rhinestones with Sharpies to match your project.  So really, the only thing you need to invest in is Sharpies.  A multi-color pack of twelve is under $8.00.  I also have the Crayola permanent markers but the colors are not as intense as Sharpies.

Thanks for stopping by today.  Until the next post............. Cheers!!!

irene

No comments:

Post a Comment