Saturday, January 12, 2013

Swap Card - Faux Chalk Art

For my January 19th group meeting I decided to swap a card using the faux chalk art technique.  I love how my first chalkboard card turned out, posted HERE, that's why I wanted to try it again.

First step is deciding which stamp set to use.  I had a pretty good idea of the design and I need stamps that will work together and will fit in the layout.  With clear stamps, I was able to place all the stamps at once on a clear block.  This enabled me to stamp all the images at the same time.  I used images from five different stamp sets, that's a lot.

Another thing I did was cut the stamps to make them fit the design.  For example, the top stamp was originally "YOU'RE SUCH AN AMAZING" I cut out "SUCH AN" because I only need "YOU'RE AMAZING" for this card.  Same thing with the brackets, they're originally about an inch apart and I cut them in half so I can use them separately.


I used Versamark and white embossing powder to heat emboss all images.  Here is my starting point.



I added borders and lines using a white pencil.  I played with colored pencils for highlight but I wasn't getting the "pop" I had in mind.  In the end, I went with tiny punch flowers in rose red to match my card base.  I sponged white ink on the flowers to tone down the color a little bit.  TIP:  Sponge the cardstock with white ink before punching your flowers to save time instead of sponging punched tiny flowers one by one.

Final step is to sponge white ink all over the card to simulate chalk dust.  If you sponge the ink before adding the lines or any other doodle with the pencil, the sponged ink slightly resist the pencil and your lines or doodles are muted.  I personally like the lines sharp and crisp to begin with and then muted with sponging.

Here's the completed card.  I'm glad I was able to meet the 10-minute or less criteria.

UPDATE:  I changed my mind on the design and didn't swap this card, instead I swapped THIS


Here's what I played with before I got to the final card above.


Now I just need to do twenty five more and I'll be all set for the meeting.

Thanks for stopping by today,

Cheers!!!


irene

Supplies used were all from Stampin'Up including stamps, inks, card stock and punches.
Stamp Sets:  Amazing Family, Make A Wish and Ciao Baby from the 2013 Spring Catalog
                    Vintage Verses and Pretty Petites from the 2013 Sale-A-Bration Catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment