Sunday, October 28, 2012

Acrylic Block Collage

I came across this technique a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to try it.  Today, as I was putting away all my Halloween stuff I saw my rough notes on how to do the technique.  I thought this is as good time as any to give it a try.

You need acrylic blocks, two or three coordinating inks or markers, a water spritzer, white or vanilla cardstock and stamps.  The first step is to ink your acrylic block with either ink pad or markers starting with the lightest color and moving onto the darkest color.  Spray block with water and immediately stamp onto your cardstock.

Mask around your stamped block with post it notes and stamp multiple images using light and/or dark inks.  Remove mask.  Stamp another image and/or sentiment in the darkest color, I used black for a better contrast.

My first try was not good, the ink combination got muddy.  Altogether I did seven and only four were usable.  You definitely have to find the right color combination as well as the right block size for your stamps.  TIP:  I had better results by doing the colors separately.  Ink block with one color, spritz with water and stamp onto cardstock.  Then repeat the steps with the next color until you get to the darkest color.  If you try doing the colors separately make sure you are using heavy weight cardstock or watercolor paper since you will end up with three spritz of water instead of one.  If you're mounting your cardstock to a panel, let it dry for a few minutes.

I initially did my stamping on a folded white card as I planned to do a CAS (clean and simple) no layer card but the block was off center so I had to cut it and center it on a panel.  Here's the end result.  I think it turned out okay after all.


No, make that better than okay, it's gorgeous!  I love it when an idea in my head works out well on paper.  When I first saw this technique I knew I would use a stamp set called Garden Silhouettes.  After 5 years, this is still one of my go to stamp set.

For those of you who might be inclined to play with this technique my recipe is as follows:
Inks:  Baja Breeze and Marina Mist for the block, Summer Starfruit for the collage images and StazOn black for the main image and sentiment.  Cardstock: White, Black and Summer Starfruit.

Stay tuned for the Christmas card created with this technique.  Until then ............

Cheers everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment